Monday, May 28, 2012


It's great to remember, but it's also good to have a BBQ.

I have noticed a trend in the few years, regarding Memorial Day.  Maybe it's not new, it just that with FB, now I know what everyone is thinking.  One of the first things I do when I get up is check FB and email and let my brain warm up.  It's not a good idea to try and have a conversation with me during this time because I'm not yet fully functioning.  I can't think about more than one thing at a time first thing.  My thoughts also wander, as you can see.

Anyway, back on point.  So this morning I was reading FB and I noticed, primarily, two types of posts - 1) We're having a BBQ or other fun event, and - 2) How dare you have fun on this day!  Don't you care about remembering our soldiers?!  I exaggerate, just a little bit.  That's the gist of it anyway.

There's got a to be a balance.  So here's my opinion on that, in case anyone ever cares what I think!

Today I will be remembering the loved ones I have lost, but especially my Grandfather because he served in WWII.  My Grandfather wouldn't talk about his experiences in the war to me.  I was only 13 when he died.  So what I know has been told to me by others, and often,  stories change from one telling to the next.  Here's what I know.

Robert E. Charlton Sr.

Robert E. Charlton Sr
When Pearl Harbor was attacked, my grandfather was in high school.  He tried to enlist immediately, but was sent home to finish high school.  After graduation enlisted.  He was sent to basic training in Texas, then to the South Pacific.  When the war was over, he came home, dated and married my grandmother.

I will think about and miss Grandpa today.  That's not specific to Memorial Day.  Although it has been more than 20 years since he died of lung cancer, I miss him every single day.  I wish so much that he could see my children.  Thinking about him still makes me cry.  If he were here to spend Memorial Day with us, it wouldn't be a morose, overly serious, dark day of remembering.  It would be a day filled with laughter, food, family stories, and the simple fun on being together.

Remembering is good.  Appreciating those who are currently serving excellent.  But from some of the things I read on FB, I get the impression that today is so serious that we are not allowed to smile.  We are not allowed to laugh.  If we do anything fun we are disrespecting those who serve.  I suspect that I would be hard pressed to soldier that would tell you that you are not allowed to do anything "fun" on Memorial Day.  They would more likely tell us to enjoy our loved one when we can.

There's got to be a balance.  So today, I'm remembering my loved ones, especially Grandpa.  I'm also going to spend the day making memories with those I love.  Someday we may not be able to all be together for Memorial Day, so today I'm going to make the most of the time we have together.  

1 comment:

  1. Please excuse the formatting. I have spent over an hour fighting with Blogger. It simply will not cooperate. The published version does not look like the preview version. I click "Apply Changes" and nothing happens. This is not how I want to spend my day, so I'm going to call it good enuf!

    ReplyDelete